Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Salvation in a marketplace.

I was walking through Pike Place this summer, and a man walked past me and handed me this personal Bible and kept walking before I could even say anything. At first I felt a little ambushed by the fact that I hadn't even had time to say 'no thanks' or even think before he kept walking. At first I was a little opposed to the fact that he had handed me a personal bible in the middle of a public place like that. Then I realized that I wasn't. That man cared about my salvation, and just because I already belong to a church doesn't mean that I can't accept his gift. So I keep it with me. Personally I like the King James version the best, which this is not, but I still like it. It reminds me of the kind of things my brother would see on his mission to southern Texas, but that's a bit beside the point. I thought I'd share some of the ones I like.

"Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me." John 14:6

"Come now, and let us reason together, saith the Lord: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be as wool." Isaiah 1:18

"Come unto me all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him,..." Revelations 3:20

"Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you." 1 Peter 5:7

"...Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all they heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind." Matthew 22:37

 
"Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises." 2 Peter 1:4

It also reminded me of when the two guys come to the high school every year handing out those vividly orange bibles. Most students just dismiss them, or turn them down politely, but I like my little personal Bible. I wouldn't have even thought of keeping it had I had the choice, but I'm glad that I didn't.

0 thoughts:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...